Laura Shoe's Lightroom Site - Tutorials, Tips, Training and News

/, Organizing and Managing Photos (Library)/Is Lightroom’s Map Module Being Discontinued?

Is Lightroom’s Map Module Being Discontinued?

Lightroom 6 and Classic users yesterday were reporting receiving a message indicating that the Map module will be discontinued:

Lightroom Classic Map Module Message

This issue has arisen because Google has made a change in their “API call”. However, Lightroom Classic users shouldn’t be getting this message, since Adobe will adjust to Google’s change and the Map module in Lightroom Classic will not be discontinued. Message generation in this case was a mistake – it reportedly has been fixed, but if you’re still seeing it, ignore it.

Lightroom Map ModuleHowever, in Lightroom 6 and CC 2015, the message is not a mistake – Adobe doesn’t fix old versions of software, so the Map module indeed will be discontinued on November 30, 2018.  The Map module will also not work in Lightroom 4 and 5.

Lightroom CC 2015 users: if your system specs meet the requirements, upgrade to Lightroom Classic using the CC app.

Here’s a workaround to seeing GPS coordinates mapped, from Adobe: “To see the location of an image on a map, copy the coordinates from the GPS field in the Metadata panel located at the right in the Map module. Then, search for these coordinates on the Internet.”

Here’s Adobe’s official statement on the discontinuation of the Map module in Lightroom 4-6 and CC 2015.

2018-08-21T12:16:51+00:00August 21st, 2018|10 Comments

1. Alan August 21, 2018 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Phew, you had me worried for a moment there, Laura! The map module is one of the core elements of Lightroom for me – I travel a lot so mainly organise my photos geographically and would be lost without this!

2. Jose Miguel August 22, 2018 at 9:21 am - Reply

Is there any non-subscription solution to this new blow by Adobe? I rely heavily on the map and I bought Lightroom 6 because of it. Now I’m screwed. Adobe obviously doesn’t give a damn for its customers, who paid for their software. It this legal, to get paid for something and later to withdraw it?

• Laura Shoe August 22, 2018 at 12:34 pm - Reply

There is no non-subscription Adobe option, Jose. Technically Adobe hasn’t withdrawn anything – it is a Google change. That said, I’m not defending them, I’m just the messenger.

• Richard August 26, 2018 at 8:43 am - Reply

Unfortunately, you didn’t pay for the software… you paid for a license that allows you to use the software, Jose. It’s still Adobe’s program, and they can change and/or discontinue supporting all or any part of it. Again, not a defense. That’s just the way it is. You own a disc and the box that it came in.

3. Kathy Eyster August 22, 2018 at 11:42 am - Reply

For people who want to continue using their current version of LR without the working Map module, they can “hide” the Map module from the visible module picker. This could prevent confusion/frustration over seeing a feature that no longer works.

Right click (Mac Ctrl Click) in the blank area next to the Library module picker. A menu appears with check marks for all the modules. Simply click on the Map module (or any other module you don’t want to see a link for) and Lightroom will hide this choice from you.

• Laura Shoe August 22, 2018 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Good suggestion, Kathy!

4. Axel August 29, 2018 at 11:14 am - Reply

Hi Laura,

The link in your article to the official statement from Adobe doesn’t work.
    Here’s the correct link: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/map-view-no-longer-supported.html

• Laura Shoe August 29, 2018 at 1:06 pm - Reply

Thank you for letting me know, Axel. That’s odd, as they are working for me, but perhaps others will need the direct link you have provided.

5. Friedhelm December 2, 2018 at 8:44 am - Reply

I paid for lightroom, I am very angry of that, sh..
    In future no lightroom, what other tool we can use?

• Laura Shoe December 11, 2018 at 8:10 pm - Reply

There are lots of them – Capture One, ON1 Raw, Luminar, … Google “Lightroom Alternatives”. I haven’t had a chance to check them out yet, so I can’t suggest a particular one.