Shortcuts for Adding Keywords in Lightroom

Many of you know that I am a fan of adding keywords to photos in Lightroom, so that you can find them quickly later. In this post I will go over some  shortcuts to help you add keywords more quickly.

With a photo selected (or group of photos selected in Grid view):

• Ctl/Cmd-K will open up your Keywording panel on the right-hand side in the Library module, with the cursor in the box to add new keywords.

ctl-k keyword shortcut keywording lightroom

• Ctl/Cmd-Shift-K will put the cursor in the larger Keywording box, so that you can edit keywords you have already added (or type in new ones.)

ctl-shift-k lightroom edit keywords

If there is one keyword or a list of keywords that you would like to be able to apply to selected photos with a keyboard shortcut (Shift-K), you can set up the keyword in one of two ways:

• In the menu bar in the Library module, go to Metadata>Set Keyword Shortcut... Type in the keyword, or set of keywords, separated by commas.
  • In your Keyword List panel (below the Keywording panel), right-click on the desired keyword, and choose Use this as Keyword Shortcut. (You now will see a “+” to the right of it.) With this method, you can only select one keyword.

With the keyword(s) assigned, select a photo, or a group of photos in Grid view, and type Shift-K to assign.

If you want to set up different keyboard shortcuts for several keywords, you can use Keyword Sets to do so. I will discuss how to set up and use Keyword Sets in my next post.

Related Posts:

Three Ways to Keyword Your Photos on Lightroom

Organize Your Lightroom Keywords into Keyword Hierarchies

Don’t Forget to Keyword Your Photos — How to Keep Track of Them So You Can

How to Add Hierarchical Keywords when Importing

Eliminating Lightroom Keyword Duplicates and Misspellings

2017-06-28T21:08:30+00:00 September 14th, 2012|6 Comments

1. Robert September 25, 2012 at 7:31 am - Reply

On my C drive each photo when I hover it, has the date taken, dimensions,size, & title (location, date ,& file number). How can I have the location information shown in view options, clicking on J key? There is no place shown in drop down menu. I used to have this in early versions of LR2. RJG

• Laura Shoe October 1, 2012 at 10:40 am - Reply

Robert, under View>View Options, with Expanded Cells chosen, you can choose Folder in the Expanded Cell Extras section.

2. Megan November 8, 2015 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Hi there, would you know the keyboard shortcut to return to grid view after adding a keyword?

• Laura Shoe November 9, 2015 at 1:42 pm - Reply

I’m not sure I understand, Megan. G for Grid returns you to grid view, but adding keywords isn’t done in a separate view (unless you are doing face tagging).

• Megan Grayle November 16, 2015 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Perhaps, being brand new to LRcc (and an “enthusiastic” aperture convert), I am unfamiliar with the language to describe my problem. I will try to be a bit more specific (oh, and no face tagging yet, for the record):

I am going through my enormous catalog of images and attempting to add keywords. It is quite a mission. And my question may seem lazy…. but, I have so much work ahead of me. So, Working in grid view, I understand to press command K (on a mac) to enter a new keyword.. I enter a couple letters, add my keyword, press return, … but how do I get back to grid view with my fingers on the keyboard?? If I press “g” it obviously just enters a g and tries to guess a keyword for me that begins with g.

My apologies if this question is quaint!!

• Laura Shoe November 18, 2015 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Try shift-enter, Megan. If this doesn’t work for you, I would suggest posting your question on lightroomforums.net.