////Three Ways to Keyword Your Photos in Lightroom

Three Ways to Keyword Your Photos in Lightroom

Keywording in LightroomHave you ever searched for a photo for what seemed like hours, checking in each folder, until you finally just gave up?  If so, you have felt the pain and frustration that comes from not having keyworded your photos.  Keywording isn’t the fun part of working in Lightroom, but if you invest the time to do it, you will be able to find your photos instantly.

Check out my guest post today over at Photofocus.com in which I show you three methods for keywording your photos.

Then come back and read this recent post on creating keyword hierarchies.

2017-07-16T18:19:56+00:00 November 16th, 2011|6 Comments

1. Norm Brown August 12, 2014 at 9:07 am - Reply

Hi Laura
    I would like to add name keywords of a group of family members to a set of photos taken at a function. I would like the name keywords to be in the order of left to right as the people appear in the photo. Is there any easy way to do this or do I have to type in all the names on each photo when people have changed position from photo to photo.
    Thanks for any advice you might have.
    Norm Brown

• Laura Shoe August 25, 2014 at 8:12 pm - Reply

Hi Norm,

I would select all photos that contain person #1, enter that keyword, then select all photos that contain person #2, enter that one, etc. The order keywords are listed in the Keywording and Keyword List panels is alphabetical.

• Norm Brown August 29, 2014 at 6:13 am - Reply

Hi Laura
        Your recommendation would make the entry go quickly but will not preserve the order of appearance of the the people in the photo.
        Norm Brown

2. Lowell Nelson March 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I am using Lightroom 5.7 for photo keywording.
    Checking a keyword for a photo only partially checks parent keywords, and parent keyword counts are not thereby updated. Moreover, for metadata filtering in flat keyword view, parent keywords are ignored. Is there a way to make Lightroom honor the photo count for parent keywords, and to honor parent keywords in flat view metadata searches?
    Thanks.

3. Pete M. February 26, 2017 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Is there a way to export a list of image file path/names and assigned keywords assigned to them in a comma-separated text format file, where there would be one line per image file, with the file path/name as the first item on the line, followed by one or more keywords, for example:

….
    /photo2005/07/DCS_0496.jpg “Canada”, “Banff”, “mountain goat”, “sunset”
    /photo2005/07/DCS_0572.jpg “river”, “sunrise”

TIA,
    Pete

• Laura Shoe February 28, 2017 at 1:59 pm - Reply

There’s no function in Lightroom, but I’m not sure if there’s a plug in that does this, Pete – check with Jeffrey Freidl.