Laura Shoe's Lightroom Site - Tutorials, Tips, Training and News

Learn How to Import into Lightroom from the Mac Photos App

Import from Mac Photos App into LightroomIn this video tutorial, learn how to import photos into Lightroom from the Mac Photos app, and how to stop Photos from opening when you plug in a memory card.

This video is one of 76+ in my 15 1/2 hour Lightroom CC/6 and 5: The Fundamentals & Beyond video series. This series is for beginners and experienced users and will help you get to the point where you can love Lightroom as much as I do – or I’ll give you your money back! (Update April, 2018: It’s one of 101 in my 22 hour updated Lightroom 5, 6 and Classic 7: The Fundamentals & Beyond series!)

2018-07-23T12:57:52+00:00September 3rd, 2017|7 Comments

1. David Zwicker February 15, 2018 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Excellent direction for retrieving iPhone pics from Apple Photo app and importing into Lightroom. Allows building ebooks in Lightroom with both iPhone pics and DSLR pics.

• Laura Shoe February 26, 2018 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Thank you, David!

2. Bonita July 19, 2018 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Aloha! Thank you so much for all your great information!
    I made a photo library Alia folder and when I try to import it to Lightroom it says there are no photos. The photos are there in finder so I know they went into the file. Do you have any advice?
    Mahalo Bonita

• Laura Shoe July 23, 2018 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Aloha, Bonita! Are you using iPhoto or Photos? This process won’t work with iPhoto – instead with iPhoto go to File>Plugin Extras>Import from iPhoto.

3. Chris Lee December 14, 2018 at 6:37 pm - Reply

Is this true for current LIGHTROOM CC? The import button is not where you show and it won’t recognize that the alias file has images. To make matters worse, the File/Migrate Apple Photos Library option sucked in only about 1/15 of the files in Apple Photo…

• Laura Shoe December 15, 2018 at 9:36 am - Reply

It’s not true for the current Lightroom CC, Chris. Unfortunately because Adobe took the name from another Lightroom application and gave it to your new one, you’ll need to check the date on every web resource that you consult about “Lightroom CC”. If it was published before October 17, 2017 then “Lightroom CC” refers to what is now called Lightroom Classic CC. Also, the author’s Lightroom screen not looking like yours is an indication that it refers to Lightroom Classic.

I don’t know what the issue would be with your Apple Photos import … I’d suggest posting on the Adobe Lightroom CC forum here.

• Laura Shoe December 15, 2018 at 11:13 am - Reply

Another hint on determining whether a resource applies to your version, Chris – if it says CC/6 or 6/CC, it is not for your version (it’s for Lightroom 6 and CC 2015, which are old versions of Lightroom Classic CC.)