///Lightroom and MacOS Sierra Compatibility Information

Lightroom and MacOS Sierra Compatibility Information

Lightroom and Mac OS Sierra CompatibilityMacOS Sierra will be released tomorrow and it has some cool new features such as Siri, so I’m sure many of you will be interested in installing it. Here’s the scoop on compatibility with Lightroom.

Note that this is a moving target that I may not be able to keep up with. For the latest, check the Adobe list of known issues.

Sierra and Lightroom 6 and CC
Serious known issues have been addressed in the Lightroom 6.7/CC 2015.7 update that just went live (blog post to come tomorrow), but keep in mind that it’s possible that additional issues will surface. It’s rarely a bad idea to hold off on major updates like this, particularly if you use Lightroom professionally, until more people kick the tires. UPDATE October 6: no major compatibility issues have surfaced.

Sierra and Older Versions of Lightroom
Victoria Bampton (the true Lightroom Queen) reports that you’ll lose the Destination and Apply During Import panels in the Import dialog However, while this originally looked like a serious issue, it’s the old “panels mysteriously go hiding” issue and it is completely fixable Right-click on any other panel name on the right side of the Import dialog, such as “File Handling”, and in the dropdown choose Destination and Apply During Import.

Other issues that aren’t fixable include the loss of tethering with Canon cameras (and Nikon and Leica, which broke with El Capitan)  and other smaller issues on the level of annoyances.  Read Victoria’s blog post for full details. These issues will not be fixed.

If you are considering upgrading to Lightroom to CC or 6, read my post, “Which Should I Buy, Lightroom 6 or CC?“. If you’re wondering how to find the Lightroom 6 upgrade product on Adobe’s U.S. site, read my post here for instructions.

2017-06-28T17:54:15-07:00 September 19th, 2016|13 Comments

1. Mark Treen September 20, 2016 at 5:34 am - Reply

I lost those same 2 dialogues windows for importing while doing Beta testing for Sierra Beta but I was able to get them back.

It really freaked me out because Adobe messed with the import function awhile back so I was worried they were up to something again. So I worriedly clicked all around and couldn’t get them back. I made a few posts and finally had someone suggest something I didn’t new existed. You can turn off those windows in importing just like the windows in the develop module. All I had to do was right click one of the windows and select the ones that were off.

(I made this same reply on the linked blog and am waiting a response.)

• Laura Shoe September 20, 2016 at 9:41 am - Reply

Ironically, Mark, I have two tutorials on how to get your missing panels back – but it did not occur to me that this was the issue and I didn’t have Sierra to test it myself. I’m really happy that most will be able to enjoy Sierra – unless you need Canon Tethering.

2. Samuel Grau September 20, 2016 at 1:27 pm - Reply

As ever, you are a fountain of information and energy. I am grateful.

• Laura Shoe September 21, 2016 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Thanks for your note, Samuel!

3. craig September 27, 2016 at 8:36 am - Reply

I’m on the latest version of Lightroom CC, and just upgraded to Sierra. However I LOST TETHERING, at least with canon cameras. Anyone else?

• Laura Shoe September 28, 2016 at 3:38 pm - Reply

I suspect that you’re not running 2015.7, Craig – go to Help>System Info to verify this.

4. vanessa October 18, 2016 at 10:19 am - Reply

I currently have LR4 on my Macbook Pro. I am planning to upgrade the internal hard drive to a 1TB from the current 500GB.

Once I do that, I was told I can go to the Apple store to have the laptop rebuilt and Sierra installed. Once that is done, I plan to subscribe to the Photography Package for $9.99/month.

Will the new LR CC software recognize and open my old catalogues (which will now be saved on an external drive)? Is there any reason I would want to reinstall LR4?? I have multiple catalogues (mostly by year plus a few for large special projects). I am planning on exporting the individual catalogues to an external drive (because my understanding is that this keeps all the original images and work within the catalogue together, right?)

My laptop backs up to Time machine on an external drive. Most of my current 500GB on my laptop are photos. I would prefer to keep all of these backed up on two separate external drives and just connect to them when i need to access them.

Am I thinking this all through correctly? Is there anything I am missing? Thank you in advance!!

• Laura Shoe October 21, 2016 at 10:44 am - Reply

Hi Vanessa,

I’m afraid that this question is too complex for me to address here. I’d recommend posting this question at lightroomforums.net – over there, create an account, sign in, and then you’ll see the New Thread buttons.

5. Roberta Ferrer October 30, 2016 at 5:19 am - Reply

Hello Laura! I upgraded to Sierra before knowing I should upgrade Lightroom first…. It´s been a nightmare, it´s so slow and freezing, and Photoshop is the same. I´m really late with my edits for my clients. My question is, should I go ahead and upgrade Lightroom now?

• Laura Shoe October 31, 2016 at 12:27 pm - Reply

Yes, upgrade Lightroom, Roberta. If you lose the Destination and Apply During Import panels in the Import dialog, right-click on another panel name on the right side there and choose them to reveal them.

6. Mike Colella November 14, 2016 at 1:45 pm - Reply

I recently up graded to Sierra and now LR is acting crazy. On “IMPORT” I no longer have all the import panels on right side. Can anyone tell me where they went or did I accidently hide them,
    HELP
    Mike

7. Duncan Andrew Murrell February 10, 2017 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Since I upgraded to Sierra Lightroom 6 has been a nightmare. During export I cannot select a new destination folder without it freezing every time and have to force quit. Sometimes a destination window will pop up but I can still only choose the existing destination folder and if I open that it triggers the export without returning to the export page. It’s really crazy!

• Laura Shoe February 13, 2017 at 10:55 am - Reply

I’d suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom, Duncan.