//What’s New in Lightroom 6.14 (Perpetual Version)

What’s New in Lightroom 6.14 (Perpetual Version)

What's New in Lightroom 6.14Adobe today released Lightroom 6.14, a free update to Lightroom 6. This is the last update to the stand-alone (perpetual) Lightroom 6. It adds support for the same new cameras and the same new lens profiles added to Lightroom Classic last week, as well as a few bug fixes.

To avoid the possibility of installing Lightroom Classic by mistake, I’d recommend downloading the update files directly from here:  Mac  Windows.  After download, double-click on the file and run the installation wizard.

If you wish to obtain future updates to Lightroom, you’ll need to purchase a subscription and upgrade to Lightroom Classic (or the new cloud-based Lightroom CC). If you purchase a new camera that is not supported by Lightroom 6.14 and you don’t want to upgrade to Classic, you can convert your new raw files to Adobe’s DNG format using the free Adobe DNG Converter, and then you’ll be able to import them into Lightroom 6.14.

New Camera Support

Raw files from the following new cameras can now be imported:

• Apple iPhone 8
  • Apple iPhone 8 Plus
  • Apple iPhone X
  • Canon EOS M100 (full support)
  • Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III
  • Google Pixel 2
  • Google Pixel 2 XL
  • GoPro FUSION
  • GoPro HERO6
  • Hasselblad A6D -100c
  • Light L16
  • Panasonic LUMIX DC-G9
  • Sony A7R III (ILCE-7RM3)
  • Sony RX10 IV (DSC-RX10M4) (full support)

Click here to see a list of all cameras supported in each version of Lightroom (and Camera Raw).

New Lens Profiles

Click here for a list of lens profiles added to Lightroom 6.14

2017-12-19T10:54:55+00:00 December 19th, 2017|65 Comments

1. Keith December 19, 2017 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Laura: Thanks for the update on 6.14. Too bad Adobe is abandoning the non-subscription users. At some point I will have to make a move away from LR as I am not interested in a subscription product.

2. kirk g haney December 19, 2017 at 1:49 pm - Reply

having trouble backing up to external hard drive in LR CC. any suggestions

• Laura Shoe December 19, 2017 at 3:10 pm - Reply

Hi Kirk,

Since your question isn’t related to this article and requires some back-and-forth, please either post it in a forum (such as lightroomforums.net), or since you have purchased Laura’s latest video training, contact us for an invitation to join her private Facebook group where purchasers can ask questions.

John

3. Mark Dymkoski December 19, 2017 at 2:04 pm - Reply

What is the name of the downloaded update file? When I open setup.zip, all I find is a file called AdobePatchInstaller.exe Is this the Lightroom 6.14 update?

• Laura Shoe December 19, 2017 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Yes, it is, Mark.

• Mark Dymkoski December 20, 2017 at 10:09 am - Reply

Thanks, Laura, for your quick answer and for the incredible ways you share your knowledge of Lightroom with us. To me, it’s the Gold Standard and I’ll keep using Lightroom 6. If at some point I need to switch to the subscription version, I’ll do it knowing that it’s still an incredible bargain, especially when you realize that Photoshop is included–a program I never could have afforded as a standalone. Over the years, I bought several PS Elements versions, which all added up to a tidy sum. $10 a month is a great price to pay for two invaluable programs.

4. Ned December 19, 2017 at 3:46 pm - Reply

Dear Laura,

Glad you posted this. I tried to update from 6.13 from within LR6 and the only option was to LR Classic. I was holding 20+ minutes to chat about the right way to update to 6.14. I gave up on waiting.

Adobe doesn’t have any use for perpetual license holders any more other than to try and convert them to the subscription model.

Thanks for all your help and advice. All the best in 2018 and don’t forget to update copyrights!!!

Ned

• Laura Shoe December 20, 2017 at 11:23 am - Reply

You’re welcome, Ned! LOL – you are anticipating my January 1 copyright post!

5. samuel grau December 19, 2017 at 3:54 pm - Reply

I have successfully updated L/R to 6.14 and I am most grateful for your support. Regretfully I will still use L/R as I need but I am abandoning Adobe in the same manner Adobe has abandoned us. There is no such thing anymore as MY WORD IS MY BOND.
    It will be either Luminar or perhaps other competitors.

• Laura Shoe December 20, 2017 at 11:24 am - Reply

You’re welcome, Samuel. I hope the competition makes all the options stronger!

6. Doug December 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Thanks so much for the link to the update. On the ball as always.

I will have to say adieu for now, I’m afraid, as I’m soon abandoning the Adobe platform. Not certain where yet. I have several products I’ve purchased to get a better feel for what direction I want to take. Among the contenders that I own: Affinity, Luminar2018, On1 Photo Raw and possibly Capture One since a limited copy came with my Sony A6000 giving me a free look.

I’m certain I’ll continue to refer back to your tutorials I’ve purchased and check in from time to time.

Be well and as always

Happy Shooting

7. Paule Blain December 19, 2017 at 4:39 pm - Reply

Merci de nous avoir informé de cette mise à jour. Faite et réussie.

• Laura Shoe December 20, 2017 at 11:22 am - Reply

De rien, Paule!

8. Lars December 19, 2017 at 4:50 pm - Reply

I second Doug’s comment. If I didn’t have your link to the update, I probably would have downloaded a free trial of classic or CC. Adobe doesn’t have the decency to make it easy for us holdouts to download it. My file editing will work just fine with my camera that I will never change before I die anyway.

9. Carol December 19, 2017 at 6:40 pm - Reply

I use LR 6.2.1 stand-alone. How is latest perpetual version 6.14?

• Laura Shoe December 20, 2017 at 11:20 am - Reply

You’re behind by about 10 updates, Carol! Note that 6.2 is the version where Adobe totally revamped the Import dialog. Once you update, you’ll see the “old” (then new) Import dialog.

• Carol December 23, 2017 at 11:04 am - Reply

Yikes! Thank you so much for clarifying, I had no idea I was 10 updates behind. Do I need to get the previous updates separately or will this one get me up to date? Thanks Laura.

• Laura Shoe December 31, 2017 at 2:36 pm - Reply

Whoops, sorry I missed this, Carol – you can just update directly to 6.14.

10. david December 19, 2017 at 7:11 pm - Reply

l have LR5.7.1 it has acquired lots of glitches thanks to macOS high sierra. Thank you Apple..
    I don’t want a subscrption and so I have begun the process of leaving LR. However, this will take some time and so I want to upgrade to LR 6.?
    The adobe site seems to offer only subscription, cloud formats .
    What do I ask for and where do I go on Adobe to get it?
    Thanks for your help. The instructional products I acquired from you have been a real help.
    David

• Laura Shoe December 20, 2017 at 11:19 am - Reply
    • Doug December 20, 2017 at 12:42 pm - Reply

If you want to buy 6 I would do it quickly. I missed out on CS 6 by waiting too long and the opportunity to buy passed like ships in the night so I’m stuck with CS 5. They hid the CS 6 purchase option fairly well on their site too at the end.

11. Allan December 20, 2017 at 6:24 am - Reply

My current Lightroom version is LR 6.2.1, when I download the patch file from, you blog, I get a error saying my application manager is defective. When I open Adobe application manger it shows an update for LR CC update and not the perpetual version . I tried updating through LR check for updates option and it gives me the sane open application manger with only LR CC option. is there any point of trying the update to R 6.1.4 or just use the version I currently have? Thanks for keeping us well informed and all the best for the Christmass Holiday .

• Laura Shoe December 20, 2017 at 11:27 am - Reply

I’m sorry, Allan, but I don’t have expertise in troubleshooting installation issues – post on lightroomforums.net or on this Adobe site.

That said, there are only a couple of bug fixes (in addition to new camera support and new lens profiles) – read them in this article to see if it would benefit you to update.

12. Alec December 20, 2017 at 6:43 am - Reply

Thanks Laura for the link, I have now downloaded and updated to 6.14.
    I’m like a lot of people on here who are just ” Amateur Photographers” and find that this version of Lightroom is adequate for our needs. I also use Luminar if I need to go beyond a basic photo.
    Just a pity Adobe chose to go down the road they did, Iv’e been with them for years !

• Laura Shoe December 31, 2017 at 2:34 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Alec. As Lightroom 6 ages, it will be interesting to see where customers go and how Adobe reacts – but I’d much rather this had not happened.

13. Daniel LaFrance December 20, 2017 at 9:55 am - Reply

Thank you thank you thank you, Laura.

I cannot say the same to Adobe for abandoning all of us users of the stand-alone (non subscription, perpetual) Lightroom 6 application. I too will be looking at alternatives. For what it’s worth, a more competitive market is long overdue.

Shame on Adobe!

• Laura Shoe December 31, 2017 at 2:31 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Daniel! I understand where you’re coming from. Let me know what you land on.

14. Doug Galloway December 26, 2017 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Thanks for your help, moved to Lightroom when Apple bumped Aperture, I’ll try to stick it out for now with my standalone Lightroom6.

• Laura Shoe December 31, 2017 at 2:25 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Doug!

15. Jochen December 29, 2017 at 10:17 pm - Reply

Do you know why after updating to Lightroom 6.14 (Mac) the finder still shows 6.13?

• Laura Shoe December 31, 2017 at 2:25 pm - Reply

I don’t, Jochen. In Lightroom go to Help>System Info or Lightroom>About PS Lightroom to verify that you are in fact running 6.14. If not, double-click on the update file you downloaded (if you used my instructions in this article.)

• Jochen January 2, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

I did as you recommended. When I click on “Help” to look for any further updates, the message is: “You are up-to-date”, although the information window still shows 6.13.

• Jochen January 3, 2018 at 9:52 pm - Reply

Problem solved: I had to deinstall Lightroom 6.13, reinstall Lightroom 6.0 an finally install the setup 6.14.

16. vusexafi@ax80mail.com January 1, 2018 at 9:51 am - Reply

Thanks for the article. Is it possible with the latest standalone version 6.14 to create HDR and Panoramas ? Or is this still only possible in the CC-Versions ? I don’t have LR6, still sitting on LR5

thanks
    Tom

• Laura Shoe January 7, 2018 at 12:43 pm - Reply

Yes, Photomerge HDR and Panorama are in Lightroom 6.

17. Sarah January 14, 2018 at 5:44 am - Reply

After months of trying to understand inscrutable instructions from Adobe, unable to find answers in Adobe chat rooms and an accidental download of Lightroom 7- a simple one page post from Laura with the correct link provided the much needed update to LR 6.14 This is invaluable for amateur photographers. Many thanks!!

Cant wait to find out more about your other helpful trainings.

• Laura Shoe January 15, 2018 at 4:42 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Sarah – and welcome to my site!

18. Ray Rhodes January 22, 2018 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Laura I had just spent hours searching for updates for lightroom6 – I entered the endless loop at adobe – I then fortunately stumbled upon you site
    Thank you so very much for the info and the link
    Based on that I would love to follow your site but after all is said and done I feel betrayed by adobe and their decision to go subscription based only and have started the process for a replacement
    The decision is a hard one to make after years of using Lightroom – but that is the way things have unfolded – I have to make the call for what is right for me – financially and ethically. But I am positive adobes call as based on finances only – no matter how many times they try to tell me their decision was to give us all quicker updates – there are always more than one way to skin a cat
    Again Laura thank you so very much and all the best to you

• Laura Shoe January 27, 2018 at 6:28 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Ray! I’m sorry to see you leave, but I totally understand and I agree that you have to make the decision based on what’s right for you. Best wishes with your photography!

19. Kathie January 27, 2018 at 9:00 am - Reply

I downloaded the Lightroom 6.14 update files from your blog, as you suggested. When I tried to open the AdobePatchinstaller.app, I received the following message: “Setup wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.” I don’t remember setting up a password for “Setup”, and II have no idea what that password would be. Is there any other way to get the update to Lightroom 6?

• Laura Shoe January 27, 2018 at 6:23 pm - Reply

This would be your computer password, Kathie.

20. William Pannill January 27, 2018 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Is there any reason not to use Lightroom 6 without joining the Lightroom CC cash stream? Like others my experience with Adobe has been frustrating and I don’t want to pay by the month. But with all my time invested, shouldn’t I just use LR6 as a dinosaur program?

• Laura Shoe January 27, 2018 at 6:23 pm - Reply

No, there’s no reason not to, William, as long as you understand that it won’t get any more updates.

21. Frank Pruitt February 4, 2018 at 1:08 pm - Reply

I bought a D850 to replace my D810. Attempted to upgrade Lightroom 6.12 to 6.14 on my Mac Book Pro per your recommended link. When I execute, I receive the following error message:

“UPDATE FAILED
    Update could not be applied
    The error log may help you in identifying the problem. Then, try updating again. If the problems persist, contact customer
    support for further assistance.”

The quote “error Log” is useless! Any suggestions since I refuse to opt for any of the Adobe plans that put them in my pocket monthly?

• Laura Shoe February 6, 2018 at 3:05 pm - Reply

Hi Frank, I don’t have expertise in resolving installation issues. You can call Adobe or post here.

22. Juan C Lopez February 6, 2018 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Muchas gracias Laura.

• Laura Shoe February 11, 2018 at 11:13 am - Reply

De nada, Juan!

23. John Boborchuk February 26, 2018 at 10:56 am - Reply

Lost Default pictures folder and now cannot find how to get it back in lightroom 6.14. Any suggestions?

• Laura Shoe February 26, 2018 at 1:25 pm - Reply

I’m not sure what you mean by lost it, John. If it shows in Finder/Windows Explorer but not in LR, then if subfolders of Pictures show in the Folders panel in LR, right-click on the highest level one and choose Show Parent. If that is still a subfolder of Pictures, right-click on that and Show Parent. If on the other hand the folders showing in the LR Folders panel are not subfolders of Pictures but you want Pictures to show, then go out to Finder/Windows Explorer, put a photo in Pictures, and then import it.

24. Deb March 14, 2018 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Hi I just purchased a Fujifilm XT20. I’d like to purchase the perpetual LR 6. How can I find put if it will support the XT20? And also, if I buy LR6, will it at least update to the latest version of 6?

25. Dagmar Collins March 22, 2018 at 12:33 pm - Reply

I know I’m late to the game, but I finally downloaded 6.14 via your Windows link. After extracting the zip file I’m left with a payload folder and the AdobePatchInstaller. Can I double click on the latter and ignore the payload folder?

• Laura Shoe March 30, 2018 at 1:58 pm - Reply

You probably figured this out by now, Dagmar, but you are correct.

26. Steve G. March 29, 2018 at 1:24 pm - Reply

First, thank you Laura for creating your site and helping so many of us. 1st time question and new to LR6.14 past 2 months. PLEASE HELP! I’m going crazy trying to figure out what key I must had hit causing me to lose the Import info on the right column. Now when I want to Import, an Import Destination pop up box comes up in the middle of the screen. How can I get my Import Destination panel back to the right column? Thank you

• Laura Shoe March 30, 2018 at 1:52 pm - Reply

I’ve never heard of this in LR 6, Steve, unless you actually have 6.2 rather than 6.14. Go to Help>About PS LR… to check. Do you in fact have module (Library, Develop, …)? If not, you’re in the new cloud-based Lightroom CC application rather than in LR 6.

• Steve G. March 30, 2018 at 2:01 pm - Reply

Thank you Laura for the quick response. This morning I figured out what happened. Embarrased to say it was accidentally hitting the minimize arrow of the Import function. I expanded it back and now all good. I’ve bookmarked your amazing site just in case something happens again. So many shortcut keys I expect to be in touch while I learn this fabulous software. All the best.

27. Trish Billard April 4, 2018 at 7:41 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this Laura! Unbelievable that my “handy” Updates… menu item under help does NOTHING to point out that I had updates available for my Lightroom 6.2… Irritating at best. Thanks to you I’m at least up to date now as I’m going to be. This subscription thing is annoying–I’m an intermittent occasional user. I subscribe to your blog and appreciate your work on this!

28. John April 27, 2018 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Thanks very Much Laura – nearly accidentally changed to Lightroom CC but now happy with perpetual 6.14

• Laura Shoe May 3, 2018 at 10:34 am - Reply

You’re welcome, John!

29. Karol May 17, 2018 at 2:53 am - Reply

Hi Laura.
    I upgraded last night LR to 6.14, but I can’t find support to Sigma Lens 16mm f/1.4 DC DN sony E-mount. Am I wrong? Is it not supported?
    Best regards, Karol.

30. acszoli May 24, 2018 at 5:32 am - Reply

Thank you for the link, it worked finally. It is ridiculous that Adobe has zero customer support only forums, impossible to find anything on their website the new tabs just piling up when look for something, but no links, no clear description, ending all the time on the same “help” page. Unless someone is paying for the CC…. I don’t and won’t. Thanks again!

• Laura Shoe May 26, 2018 at 10:39 pm - Reply

I don’t believe that’s actually true – my understanding is that Adobe is still providing support for Lightroom 6 (though Adobe does make it look like there is none). Rather than going through their website, use Google to get their phone number.

31. Marti de Alva May 25, 2018 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Laura, I just downloaded LR Classic CC 2015, which I understand is LR 6. I wanted to check to see if it is version 6.14, but can’t find anywhere where it specifies the version number. I had been running LR 5, but it began crashing when I updated my Mac OS to 10.13.4. I read somewhere that LR6.14 does work on this Mac OS, but it’s still crashing. I would love to see what version it is if you can tell me.

I haven’t quite decided whether to stay with the CC subscription plan yet, so this seemed like the right version to have an active catalogue. If I do decide to stay, I’ll upgrade later.

Thanks

• Laura Shoe May 26, 2018 at 10:36 pm - Reply

Hi Marti, go to Help>System Info.