Laura Shoe's Lightroom Site - Tutorials, Tips, Training and News

///Your Lightroom Catalog Is Too New to Be Used with This Version of Lightroom

Your Lightroom Catalog Is Too New to Be Used with This Version of Lightroom

Many users who have upgraded to Lightroom Classic have encountered this error: The catalog named X is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom. Would you like to select a different catalog?

Lightroom Classic: Catalog Too New to Be Used by This Version of Lightroom

This happens when you accidentally open your Lightroom Classic catalog using Lightroom 6 or CC 2015 and this old version can’t read your newer Lightroom Classic catalog.

To resolve this, choose Quit and then open Lightroom Classic.

Making this mistake is so easy because the program icons are the same for both programs:

Lightroom 6 / CC 2015

“Adobe Lightroom”
(Lightroom 6, CC 2015)

Lightroom Classic

“Adobe Lightroom Classic CC”

I would recommend uninstalling Lightroom 6 or CC 2015 and/or deleting the program icon from your desktop or dock.

• To delete the “Adobe Lightroom” (6/CC 2015) icon from your desktop, drag it to the Recycle Bin (PC) or Trash (Mac).
  • If it’s in your Windows taskbar, right-click on it, verify that it says “Adobe Lightroom” and not “Adobe Lightroom Classic CC”, and choose to unpin it from the taskbar.
  • To remove it from your Mac dock, right-click on it, verify that it says “Adobe Lightroom” and not “Adobe Lightroom Classic CC”, and choose Options>Remove from Dock.

2017-11-23T11:02:17+00:00 November 23rd, 2017|9 Comments

1. justme November 23, 2017 at 11:57 am - Reply

All going on with Lightroom these last couple of months is the reason I have moved on from LR. After MANY years. And yes I signed up for the latest online plan. The online new version of LR – STINKS. And once signed up, it updated my LR 6 all by itself. WTF.

So I have bought ON1 Photo and getting used to it – but I like it a lot. Adobe is off the rails. Never going back.

2. Greenberg Bonnie December 13, 2017 at 3:35 pm - Reply

If i do that what happens to my 30 thousand images saved as dng? Will on 1 open them?

• Laura Shoe December 14, 2017 at 5:12 pm - Reply

I’m afraid I don’t understand your question, Bonnie. This article is about mistakenly opening the wrong version of Lightroom. Open the correct version and all will be fine.

• Laura Shoe December 14, 2017 at 5:12 pm - Reply

Strike that – I see now that you are replying to someone else.

3. Ed Petranek December 14, 2017 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Laura & John

Well I’m not sure I don’t disagree with the above comment,but am willing to hang a while longer.I also get the too new message.Went to control panel and it seems I have only one version of LR.

So my question is shoud I go to the control panel delete whqt LR is there and then down load LR Classic CC (7)?

• Laura Shoe December 14, 2017 at 5:14 pm - Reply

See what version of LR it is opening, Ed. The splash screen should say “Lightroom Classic CC” (assuming that’s the one that you upgraded your catalog to.)

4. Eyal April 9, 2018 at 11:31 am - Reply

I own lightroom CC 2015 and had the CC desktop application offering me atrial of Lightroom Classic CC. Well, I tried it and while doing so my catalog was converted to the newer version. I worked with it for several days and decided to keep my licensed Lightroom CC 2015. I now can’t open the newly created catalog nor the changes I have already made.
    Wanting to continue working with Lightroom CC 2015 – is there any way to convert the new Lightroom Classic CC to the old format?

Eyal

• Laura Shoe April 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm - Reply

I’m afraid I don’t understand, Eyal – as a subscriber to Lightroom CC 2015 you get Lightroom Classic as a free update to it. Why would you want to revert back to CC 2015?

This article discusses getting any work you did in Lightroom Classic into the older version.

• Eyal April 9, 2018 at 2:19 pm - Reply

Somehow my Adobe desktop creative cloud application shows me 2 Lightroom signs –
        1. Lightroom CC (2015) – which is licensed and working (6.14 update)
        2. Lightroom Classic CC – which is now under trial version (the one with the blue glassed face in the intro screen)

It might be that I can’t make the upgrade due to my license type – I’m working for a big organization which has (at least until now) a general license from Adobe.

Now, since I tried the Lightroom Classic CC and already made some work on it, I can’t move the changes to the CC 2015.

Hope I managed to explain…