Laura Shoe's Lightroom Site - Tutorials, Tips, Training and News

/, Lightroom Tutorials, Upgrading Lightroom/Video Tutorial on How to Upgrade to Lightroom CC & 6

Video Tutorial on How to Upgrade to Lightroom CC & 6

Did you just purchase or do you plan to upgrade to Lightroom CC or 6 from an earlier version? If so, the upgrade process is usually straightforward, but it helps to be prepared in case it isn’t. Watch this video for details.

There are two scenarios not mentioned in this video. If you are installing from the Creative Cloud app (shown in the video), and Lightroom CC 2015 doesn’t show in the list of available apps, there are two possible issues:

1. Your computer may not support it. You have to have 64-bit Windows 7 or higher, or Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or higher.

2. A CC installation glitch that many experienced on launch day. Log out of your CC app, and then log back in. This is also recommended if you successful install it, but then the program won’t start. To log out, click on the Settings wheel, select Preferences, and then sign out and sign in.

Creative Cloud sign out to resolve Lightroom install problems

Creative Cloud sign out to resolve Lightroom install problems

lightroom-training-fab6-150For comprehensive training in Lightroom CC and Lightroom 6, check out my Lightroom CC/6 and 5: The Fundamentals & Beyond video series.

2017-07-09T17:03:12+00:00 April 22nd, 2015|14 Comments

1. Katherine April 22, 2015 at 4:24 pm - Reply

I’ve installed LRCC and converted my catalogs with no problems and once I used my catalogs a bit to be sure all was good, I uninstalled LR5.7.1. One annoying problem is that (despite telling Windows to open lrcat files with LRCC) my icons remain generic instead of the usual “LR” icons. Any ideas?

2. Lee April 22, 2015 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Hi Laura! I downloaded and signed out of CC, rebooted and signed back in, but still can’t get it to launch. 🙁 It just flashes briefly and then nothing. I’m not the only one, a few friends are having the same issue. Any ideas?

• Laura Shoe April 24, 2015 at 4:42 pm - Reply

I would suggest posting on lightroomforums.net for assistance, Lee – I don’t know what the issue is.

• Lee April 24, 2015 at 4:57 pm - Reply

Thanks Laura, I actually solved it last night. You have to sign out in preferences first. Then I rebooted, signed back in to CC and it launched fine. I actually had to go through that twice before it worked and have heard it takes even more times for some, once for others. I quit before starting the import though because I have jobs every day for the next several days and I don’t have time for ‘issues’. I can’t wait to start using it though! 🙂

3. Pierre May 13, 2015 at 11:12 am - Reply

Hello Mrs Laura SHOE,

I would like to upgrade from 5.7 → 6.
    My program send me automatically to LrCC (wich system I don’t want) and I never find the URL to get and launch Lr 6.
    Alas, it’s impossible to get anybody of Lr to help. I tried to find an answer in your video “How to Upgrade to Lr 6”, but I didn’t understand (I only can read and write in English).
    Can you give me the way to only launch (and pay) the version 6 ?
    Many thanks for prompt answer.

• Laura Shoe June 3, 2015 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Hi Pierre,

Here is the link on the US Adobe site, but I don’t know where international versions would be.

• Pierre June 4, 2015 at 5:44 am - Reply

Hello Mrs Laura SHOE

Thanks of your answer, I’ve found where to seek on the french site of Lightroom and have found how to do to download the LR 6 “update”.

Greetings,
        Pierre

4. Don B June 10, 2015 at 9:29 am - Reply

Is Lightroom 6 upgrade still available?

I cannot find any link to download lightroom 6 upgrade. I have Lightroom 5, and I would like to upgrade to Lightroom 6. I talked to Adobe today, and they said Lightroom 6 upgrade is not available. They implied I would have to buy the full version, as no upgrade is available.

5. KS March 2, 2016 at 3:11 pm - Reply

always love your tips and newsletter.
    I will be upgrading to perpetual LR6 license, however confused I currently have mac OSX10.8.6.
    If I read Adobe site site correctly it stated LR6.1 can work with this mac version.
    it says nothing about 6.4 so I don’t know?
    any suggestions on discovering answer?
    KS

6. jamie May 26, 2016 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Hi Laura – Super helpful video, thank you! As I’m upgrading from LR 4 to the new LR CC, I’m considering starting a new catalog. My current catalog is the only one I’ve ever used and is about 590 MB in size (not sure if that’s considered large or if that’s just normal). I’ve heard varying schools of thought on whether or not you should always just use one catalog and not worry about its size or consider using multiple catalogs as they grow. (I’m not a professional photographer and do not do paid work or photoshoots, so no need to have a separate catalog for client work.) I’m putting LR CC on my new desktop and just got a new camera, so if I’m ever going to start a new catalog, this seems like the most logical time, but I don’t want to be sorry later or make things unnecessarily difficult for myself in the future by having multiple catalogs I need to access. What would you recommend?

• Laura Shoe May 29, 2016 at 11:50 am - Reply

You’re welcome, Jamie. For most people I don’t see any reason to start a new catalog unless you need a brick wall between some photos and others (such as if your employer wants you to keep work and personal photos separate.) Your catalog is not large by Lightroom’s standards. (Adobe has found some customers who have millions of photos in their catalogs.)

• jamie May 29, 2016 at 10:04 pm - Reply

great! thank you so much!