/, Free Video Tutorials, Lightroom Tutorials/Video Tutorial: Overview of Developing a Photo in Lightroom

Video Tutorial: Overview of Developing a Photo in Lightroom

UPDATE June, 2017: While this video was made using Lightroom 4, it is also applicable to newer versions.

In this video, I develop a photo to show you my workflow and how I decide what edits to do, and to demonstrate many of Lightroom’s Develop module editing tools. This video is part of my Lightroom 4 Fundamentals & Beyond series. In it, I use the crop tool; Basic, HSL, Effects, and Detail panels; and the adjustment brush. Update: Check out my Lightroom CC/6 and 5: The Fundamentals & Beyond series.

If you have a good internet connection, once you start the video, click on the sprocket wheel in the bottom left to increase the quality to 720p. (Videos for sale are larger and aren’t blurry.)

Other videos from the my Fundamentals & Beyond series:

Importing Photos

Searching for Your Photos

Using the HSL Panel to Control Individual Colors

2017-07-10T12:10:56-07:00 July 5th, 2012|10 Comments

1. John July 6, 2012 at 6:53 am - Reply

Thanks for a good lesson, didn’t know about sharpening presets comes with LR.

2. Tony August 10, 2012 at 12:44 am - Reply

I found this tutorial really useful – it has opened my eyes to the incrediable power of Lightroom 4. I like the way you explain things extremely well but quickly without unnecessary padding – thank you.

• Laura Shoe September 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Thank you, Tony! (Sorry I missed this comment last month!)

3. danielle November 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm - Reply

this is amazing. thank you!

• Laura Shoe December 3, 2012 at 5:03 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Danielle!

4. Vipin December 3, 2012 at 1:05 am - Reply

Excellent tips on Video Laura. thanks a lot!!!
    My Photo shoots are lined up and this site and your writing surely is quite helpful, which I stumbled upon quite by chance.
    Thanks again for a quick roundup on what I should be looking for. 🙂

-Vipin

• Laura Shoe December 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm - Reply

You’re welcome, Vipin – I am glad you enjoyed it!

5. Andrew December 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm - Reply

That was awesome Laura…thank you 🙂

A couple of quick questions if you don’t mind?

Do you always shoot raw…even for family snaps?

I’m using 4.3 and I’ve noticed that the sharpening & noise reduction I apply in the develop module seems to be diminish when moving to the library module. This seems to affect any slideshows as well. Have you noticed this? Any ideas on how to correct it or is it a bug?

Many thanks

6. pat keenan August 21, 2016 at 1:50 am - Reply

Hi Laura, Many thanks, today was my first day on LR and thanks to you I was able to pace the necessary metadata on 6,300 images – certainly amazing software.
    Now two more questions; when you have the image corrected and looking good what do you do to save all those corrections – is there a key to press?

And secondly, when I view my images in my original source file I presume all that metadata is still there (on my original file) ?

I’ll have more questions in future, Thanks, Pat, Australia.

• Laura Shoe September 10, 2016 at 10:00 am - Reply

I’m sorry for my delayed response, Pat. Good question on saving – you don’t need to, Lightroom automatically saves your work. Read more about this here.

Not sure what you mean by your second question.