/, Free Video Tutorials, Lightroom Tutorials/Find and Eliminate Duplicate Photos in Lightroom

Find and Eliminate Duplicate Photos in Lightroom

Duplicate Finder PluginIn this video, I show you how I use Jim Keier’s great Lightroom Duplicate Finder plugin to find and eliminate duplicate photos. I show you my workflow, give you tips and tricks along the way, and I show you the Lightroom skills you need to get the most from the tool.

Table of Contents:

0:00 Introduction
1:07 How to First Back Up Your Catalog
2:06 Running Duplicate Finder
3:05 The Duplicates Smart Collections
5:30 Deleting Duplicates Directly from Folders
6:22 Flagging Duplicates for Deletion
9:48 Filtering to See Just Your Flagged Photos, DeletingJim Keier’s manual with installation instructions, and full plugin instructions

2017-07-09T17:11:37+00:00 December 15th, 2014|9 Comments

1. Jeff Lantz December 17, 2014 at 8:26 am - Reply

great tutorial alert. thanks. happy holidays jeff

2. Peter Bates December 31, 2014 at 11:07 am - Reply

Try Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder. It works outside of Lightroom, but it appears efficient. And it’s free!

3. Scott Berger, M.D. May 27, 2015 at 6:26 am - Reply

hi Laura. Just recently found your site and really enjoying your tutorials. I was wondering if you’ve come across the free LR duplicate finder on the Adobe official plugin site and how you would compare it to this one? I think it may be even better with more features, such as tagging each possible duplicate with a series of text labels…it has a crazy German name that I cannot remember, like Tekkesellshin, or some variant thereof. Please let me know how you would compare it to the one you’ve reviewed here, and thanks again, keep making those great tutorials!

• Laura Shoe June 3, 2015 at 3:10 pm - Reply

I have not looked at that one, Scott. If you do try them both, let us know how they compare.

4. Homer September 10, 2015 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Here it is: bungenstock.de/teekesselchen

Personally I think it’s ridiculous that such a basic feature is not already built-in to such an expensive piece of software.

5. Homer September 10, 2015 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Also see: digikam.org

Has all the features of Lightroom and way more, but costs nothing.

6. Jennifer November 22, 2015 at 9:18 am - Reply

Wow, thank you Homer – just ran teekesselchen and it helped me delete around 8,000 dupes. What an awesome little plug-in. Thank you, thank you!

7. Sloan January 5, 2016 at 2:08 pm - Reply

I just wanted to mention that I added another duplicate checker I found on the Adobe website and tested it against this one.
    I found that the the product from this website worked in a similar and simpler manner

I found that it located similar pictures (IPhone HDR and multi images) as well and allowed me to clean them up. I unchecked auto mark for deletion and a few other options.

Jim Keier’s Lightroom Duplicate Finder plugin has more options for the power user and his videos are excellent. I would try them both though. It is hard to beat Free though.

8. Brown Clark January 21, 2017 at 1:53 am - Reply

I use Duplicate Files Deleter to remove all the unwanted, duplicated pictures from my pc.