/, Organizing and Managing Photos (Library), Troubleshooting/Why Can’t I Rearrange My Images in Lightroom?

Why Can’t I Rearrange My Images in Lightroom?

I thought I would address this commonly encountered issue as I am learning to do videos. Sorry it is a little repetitive, they will get better. Bottom line if you don’t have time to watch the video: make sure you are in a bottom-level folder, and also that you are not in a smart collection. watch video

If you have any issues watching this video, please shoot me an email — I would appreciate hearing so I can make future videos better.

2017-07-09T15:21:36+00:00 November 22nd, 2008|10 Comments

1. Paxton Prints November 23, 2008 at 12:00 am - Reply

You are doing a great job Laura! You are developing quite a nice body of information.

I had a little difficulty hearing the audio on the video – it sounded muffled (?). It might be worth experimenting with a few of the different audio qualities.

Keep up the great work! -Steve

2. Kelly September 15, 2009 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Hi, I am new to LR (1 month) and learning all I can so I certainly appreciated your video. Good Job.

3. barry mayes June 1, 2010 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Kelly you are a star! I have been using lightroom for 3 years and was so frustrated with frozen tools that I bought a new PC and STILL had frozen tools like not being able to rearrange photos on the library or slide show. then I stumbled across your video.

no more sleepless nights.

Barry (UK)

4. Paul July 7, 2010 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Very Helpful!
    Thanks so much.

5. Sheila August 23, 2010 at 6:46 pm - Reply

I just downloaded the trial lightroom, I am completely lost, have no idea where to begin. I used iphoto 09 now, and have all mu pictures in that program. How do I get them to lightroom? Will I be able to use both programs? If I download all my pictures to lightroom will my computer slow down, or stop completely. Is there a tutorial for dummies?

• Laura Shoe September 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm - Reply

Hi Sheila, sorry, I just noticed your question. Eventually you will be able to buy my Lightroom workshop on DVD, but it isn’t ready yet. In the meantime, consider a subscription to Lynda.com and watch their training videos, take a workshop, or buy a Lightroom book. (I like Mikkel Aaland and Martin Evening.) Look for my blog post pointing to a video from David Marx on how to get your iPhoto photos into Lightroom — it isn’t easy, but it is a one time inconvenience. You can use both programs, but I would discourage you from doing so — keep it simple.

6. Kathy November 1, 2010 at 8:11 am - Reply

This was fantastic!

7. Peter - a Newbie February 7, 2011 at 3:38 am - Reply

Thanks Kelly! This will save me much frustration no doubt.

8. Kathy May 21, 2011 at 6:44 am - Reply

Why can’t I zoom in and crop?